Cairo University
 

 Cairo University was established in 1908 under the name of the National University.

In 1925 a decree was issued to establish the Egyptian University.

 After the revolution of 1952, its name became Cairo University. The University has 25 faculties and high institutes, 8 faculties in Benisuef branch, 11 faculties in Fayoum branch and 4 faculties in Khortoum branch. It has 6876 staff members, 4168 teachers, 200.644 students, 40000 open education students. It has 22034 post graduate students.

Faculties and Institutes

·         Cairo University Center for Arabic Language and Culture (ALCC)

·         The Faculty of Sciences

·         The Faculty of Agriculture

·         The Faculty of Archaeology

·         The Faculty of Arts

·         The Faculty of Commerce

·         The Faculty of Computer and Information Science

·         The Faculty of Dar El-Ulum

·         The Faculty of Oral Dental Medicine

·         The Faculty of Economics and Political Science

·         The Faculty of Engineering

·         The Faculty of Law

·         The Faculty of Mass Communications

·         The Faculty of Medicine

·         The Faculty of Pharmacy  

·         The Faculty of Physiotherapy

·         The Faculty of Urban and Regional planning

·         The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine

·         The Faculty of Urban planning

·         The Faculty of Education

·         The Faculty of KG Teachers.

·         Institute of Education Studies

·         High Nursing Institute

·         Institute of African Studies

·         Institute of Cancer.

 
The light and sound  

This project was started in April 1962 to explain the monuments of Giza through an attractive show with a historic script accompanied with music.

It tells the story of the sphinx and the deep root of the ancient Egyptian Civilization.

It tells the story of building the pyramids. The show is given daily in more than one foreign language also in Arabic.

Day

1 st show

2 nd show

3 rd show

Saturday

English

Italian

By Reservation

 

Sunday

English

German

By Reservation

 

Monday

English

Spanish

By Reservation

 

Tuesday

English

French

By Reservation

 

Wednesday

English

Spanish

By Reservation

 

Thursday

English

French

By Reservation

 

Friday

English

French

By Reservation

 

Winter Show

7 : 00

8 : 00

9 : 00

 

Summer Show

8 : 00

9 : 00

10 : 00

 

 

Tel: 3385320 

 Home page. www.soundandlight.com.eg

 
 
The Grand Egyptian Museum  

The Grand Egyptian Museum holds in trust for Egypt and the World a chronological statement for the ancient history of Egypt over the past 7000 years. Neighboring a timeless wonder, the Giza Pyramids, the new museum is to pay homage to eternal Ancient Egyptian monuments, treasures, and history hosting over 100,000 artifacts, about 3500 of which belong to the famous King Tutankhamen.

The Grand Egyptian Museum is located only 2 kilometers from the Giza Pyramid plateau that is included in the UNESCO World Heritage Site list, which extends in a north-south direction for about 30 km from Abu Rawash to Dahshour, including the Abu Ghorab, Abu Sir and Saqqara archaeological area. North of the Pyramids plateau is the Hassan Dome, a singular geomorphologic feature designated as a Protected Area.

The area allocated for the Grand Egyptian Museum is about 480,000 sq.m. It exists on a higher hill at the beginning of the Cairo- Alexandria desert Road and is also accessed from the Fayoum Desert Road.

The Grand Egyptian Museum will allow Egypt to become a major worldwide hub for Pharaonic history and a must-visit place for Egyptologists. The museum aims at taking grasp of the diversity of Egypt's heritage of monuments and arts needed to be shown in one place in one location to maintain and preserve this huge legacy.

 
 
The Zoo  

The zoo was built by Khedive Ismail and opened on 1 March 1891. It was built on about 85 feddan (21 hectares (52 acres)) that was once part of the harem gardens. Ismail imported many plants from India, Africa, and South America, of which a banyan tree planted about 1871 can still be seen. The original 180 birds and 78 other animals in the zoo collections were taken from Ismail's private menagerie.

In the late 1870's the state  took over the zoo as  partial payment of the ismails debts. In January 1890, the harem building  was  opened as a natural history  museum, and was used  In this manner until a new  museum was opened in tahrir  square in 1902.

The portion of the gardens facing the Nile were sold to the public  for large homes, but the harem gardens were kept intact.when  the zoo was built, the exhibits with semi-natural habitats  were considered spacious by European standards.

the animal collection emphasized   Egyptian species   and at  one  time claimed 20.000    individuals representing    400 species ,   though many of these may have been migratory birds

Tel : 35708895 - 35701552

Home page: www.gizazoo. eg.com

 
 
The Orman Garden  

The Orman Garden is one of the most famous Botanical gardens in Egypt. It is located at Giza, It dates back to 1875 and the reign of Khedive Ismail Pasha who established the garden on a larger site than it presently occupies as part of the Palace of the Khedive.

It became a public botanical garden in 1910/1917 and put under the Ministry of Agriculture management.

The garden covers about 28 acres. Today, the garden contains an herbarium building, a rock garden, a rose garden, cactus gardens, and probably the most notable feature, the lotus pond.

Orman Garden is located west of the River Nile and east of Cairo University in the Giza Governorate. "Orman" is a Turkish word, which means "the forest".

Every year, starting March 22, the Spring Festival is held at Orman Garden. During that time, many companies exhibit their various plant offerings including ornamental plants, cut flowers, cactus, seeds for growing many plants, fertilizers, and pots.

Address: Giza. 9 Gamaet El Qahera St.

 Tel: 37483452

 
 
The Pharonic Village  

The idea of the pharaonic village is to duplicate ancient Egyptian life. It displays and explains the history and art of ancient Egypt. It displays techniques of agriculture, industry, mummification, ship building, perfume making, and food industry by using live shows.

It has several museums such as:

 The Ptolemaic Museum:

 It displays the historic era from the Great Alexander to Cleopatra. At the time Alexandria was the cultural capital of the old world.

 Tomb of "Tut Ankh Amoun":

 It's a duplicate which was opened to the public in 1992. it is a detailed duplicate with all its treasures.

 The Pharaonic Boat Museum:   

In which the ancient Egyptian boats and ships are displayed. These were made of papyrus or wood. They were sail boats or with oars and were used for religious rituals.

Tel: 3571.8675

 
 
Cosom Village  

Cosmos is called «Small Egypt» its area is 190 acres, It is located on Fayoum/oasis's Road This global village is one of the most modern exploratory projects which aiming to become integrated recreational & scientific city that has the ability to introduce science  history and  entertainment at the same time.

 The village is divided into three sections.

·         Scientific Section includes a planetarium excellent their offers and dazzling huge for the world of space , planets and stars and a huge scale model of the globe Bmjsm District of the continents of the world so that when you choosing your country in any continent by clicking on the button on the map three-dimensional in their own continent and so on.

·         Historic Section, which is a simulation of Egypt through the replica of the main Egypt historical landmarks order provinces

models beginning of Alexandria and a large model of the Castle Qaitbay and passing through the Delta and then Salah Eldin Citadel in Cairo, the Pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx and Saqqara tombs Bany Hassan of Minya and Abydos in Sohag, the monastery sea and the temples of Luxor and Karnak in Luxor and the temples of Edfu and Kom Ombo and Philae in Aswan High Dam and then model safari and ending with the Red Sea. This section includes Pharaonic temples replica of what it is in miniature provinces by 1 to 7 in the sense that if , for example, the size of the original temple 7 acres be his model in the Global Village on one acre area.

 
 
The Agricultural Museum 

The ancient Egyptian civilization was based on agriculture. Through old and modern history agriculture remained an important element in its economy, culture and style of living. For that reason, the agricultural museum was established the days of king Fouad in 1929 to provide agricultural and economic information and to record the history of Egyptian agriculture from the pre-historic eras to the modern era.

It was opened officially on January 16,1938. The museum is 30 feddans in area and went through development and many new departments have been established since it was opened to the public.

Address: 6 october Bridge, Dokki

Tel: 37608682

 
 
Papyrus Research Institute 

 It was established in 1962 in the middle of blooming garden in one of the beautiful sites on the Nile in Giza. Dr. Hassan Ragab has performed a lot of tests to reach the same features of the old papyrus. His discovery is now everywhere in the world and became one of the tourist attractions.

 The institute teaches the techniques of the papyrus manufacturing. The institute has the important works and paintings which were recorded on papyrus

 Papyrus manufacture:

The lower parts of the papyrus plants are cut after excluding the upper part. After that

they are tied in bunches and soaked in water for 24 hours after peeling the outer layer.

The inner part of the plant is disected into thin slices according to the desired length. The slices are put on a piece of lineu cloth in two layers: one is horizontal and the second is vertical. After that, it is hammered lightly with a wooden hammer so that the fibres of the two layers stick together.

The paper covered with a piece of cloth and is pressed after that.

The papyrus is left to dry to become ready for writing and drawing.

 

Source: General Administration of Tourism - Giza Governorate

 
 

جميع حقوق الملكية محفوظة لوزارة التخطيط والمتابعة والإصلاح الإداري